Skip to main content

A New Year's Wish

 Dear Friends and Family,


As we prepare for Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year, I wanted to write a brief note to share where I am turning for inspiration this year.

I was attending a Selichot service at a local congregation last Saturday night (a service that helps folks prepare for the new year) and the following lyrics were part of the service. (See below) 

When I had my heart attack almost four years ago, my Dentist told me that she thought that the reason I survived was because G-d had a purpose for me and that I needed to fulfill that purpose.  As I celebrate Rosh Hashanah, this song encourages me to do what I can do to create a more peaceful and just world. 

As I write this, Iran has attacked Israel and the Middle East is teetering on the brink of a more wide spread war. Our thoughts and prayers are for peace and security for Israel and for all in the Mideast who only want to live together peacefully.

May all who are reading this find the courage to make your lives a blessing (check out Debbie Friedman's Prayer for Healing)  and to those of you who are Jewish and celebrating the Jewish New Year Shanah Tovah U'Metukah, may the new year be good and sweet.

B'shalom, salaam, peace,

Rabbi Bruce Aft

One Day Song by Matisyahu

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Holds Us Together

What Makes The Ninth of Av Different This Year

MLK's Message 2.0