What Makes The Ninth of Av Different This Year

 Dear Friends and Family,


We are back from most of our travels and I wanted to share a blog about the Jewish Commemoration of Tisha B'Av which we are observing today.

Tisha B'Av is the 9th day of the Hebrew month of Av and we remember the destruction of the Temples in Jerusalem and other tragedies that have occurred to the Jewish people.

As we remember these events this year, we think about the horrible Hamas attacks on Israel  which took place on Oct. 7 of 2023 and the subsequent tragic loss of life which continues.  We are all hoping and praying for the release of the hostages and for peace in the region..

I recently gave a talk about what makes this year's observance of Tisha B'Av different from other years.  I spoke in response to the significant division in our Jewish community and beyond, about what an appropriate response should or could have been to the attacks on Oct. 7.

This blog is not an attempt to respond to that question.  My desire is to encourage us to not repeat the sin of "sinat chinam" or causeless hatred, which according to many was the reason that the Second Temple was destroyed in Jerusalem.

When I read accounts of students who feel they have to leave their rabbinical seminary because they are outcasts for suggesting that they support Israel (and not necessarily the government), I feel sad.  My colleague, Rabbi Gerry Serotta, has taught me that although one can criticize the state of Israel's government, that this should not diminish our love for Israel.

In my remarks, I spoke about my meeting with the founder of the Reconstructionist Movement in Judaism, Rabbi Mordecai Kaplan, over 40 years ago.  In his response to a question I had asked him, he told me that the most important characteristic of a rabbi was to have integrity.  I hope that in a world where we may disagree about the appropriateness of the Israeli response to Oct. 7, that we will be sure our discussions are filled with integrity.  In the debates between Rabbis Hillel and Shammai in the Talmud, we usually follow the position of Rabbi Hillel. One of the most important reasons for this, is that he would listen to others before he would posit his opinion.

In a world where as I write this, we are awaiting the Iranian response to recent Israeli actions, I hope that as the days ahead unfold, we will listen to each other and have discussions with integrity and not hatred.

May we all stand together in support of the Jewish people in Israel and despite our positions on the actions of the Israeli government, support each other during this time of trauma and tragedy.  Let not anger tear us apart.

B'shalom (in peace),

Rabbi Bruce Aft


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Holds Us Together

MLK's Message 2.0