Father's Day Message/Our Lives Matter

 Dear Friends,


I thought I was done with blogs for the summer, but I was leading a service at a senior facility yesterday to celebrate the Festival of Shavuot on a day when we remember our loved ones,  I had a revelation I wanted to share.  I guess this is appropriate on the Festival of Shavuot when we celebrate the revelation at Mt. Sinai.

As we remembered our loved ones yesterday and as I think about my father on this Father's Day weekend, I have often been conflicted by the recitation of the following Psalm at funerals and memorial services. 



 My father, of blessed memory, did not like this reading.  I have hesitated to read it but yesterday it was part of the prayer book I was asked to use.

As I was reading it, I realized why Dad didn't like it.  I beleive that he didn't want to feel that no one would remember his life and that somehow he would be forgotten..

So...Dad, wherever  you  are, I want you to know that  your life mattered and you are remembered.  Everytime I play catch with one of our children or a grandchild, or everytime I play in my adult baseball leagues and the ball hits the glove, I remember you.  I hear your  voice saying, "watch your stride" or "watch your grip on the ball" or "follow through"and I realize that this is more than just baseball wisdom.  These words can be a guide for living as well.

And as I remember my father-in-law of blessed memory, I remember him also for many  reasons.  The most special is that when we would gather together for a meal, he would say, "Let's All Say Baruch"  (Let's all say a blessing).  

Through small acts of kindness, through a simple smile, through a supportive word, we can add blessing to the lives of others and hopefully enhance our own lives.

Happy Father's Day to all the Dads reading this and I hope all of us have special memories which we can share with our loved ones about our dads.

B'shalom,

Rabbi Bruce Aft

  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Holds Us Together

What Makes The Ninth of Av Different This Year

MLK's Message 2.0