Yom Hashoah: Holocaust Remembrance Day

 Dear Friends,


As I reflect on the meaning of today's Holocaust Day of Remembrance, this year is different than previous years.

As we watch events unfold in the Middle East and across campuses in America, I want to  share teachings of two Holocaust survivors who I was privileged to call friends.

The first one is Charlene Schiff who died a number of years ago. You can do a search for Charlene Schiff, Holocaust survivor and learn more about her.  She taught us all about the four "I"s.  Ignorance, injustice, intolerance, and indifference.  We must do everything in our power to educate so there is no ignorance.  We must fight against injustice and intolerance.  Finally, we cannot and must not remain indifferent to those who are in need.

Although a seemingly simple  message, she profoundly touched all of us by her passion to work to eliminate the four "i"s.  May we find meaningful ways to carry on her memory through our own efforts to work for justice, to eliminate ignorance, and to fight against intolerance and to never be indifferent to the suffering of others.

The second survivor with whom I traveled to Poland in the mid 1990's is Itka Zygmuntowicz.(You can look her up also)  We were together in Auschwitz on her 70th birthday where she saw where her mother had been shot.  Our moment of prayer together is among the most touching events of my life as we said Kaddish (the Jewish memorial prayer in honor of the deceased) at the last place she saw her Mom alive.

She was a poet and philosopher and among her most inspiring words are the following:

"Life is a mixture of vinegar and wine; it is important to choose carefully with whom we dine."

"Love builds bridges of communication, and hatred builds walls of isolation."

"The best way to improve the world is to improve ourselves."

"We cannot always choose our circumstances but we can choose our responses."

Finally in memory of her Grandma, she wrote the following:

My Grandma

My Grandma was old, my Grandma was wise,

She gave me so much love, she gave me good advice.

My  dear sweet old Grandma so often use to say,

"My child, you only have what you give away."

So don't spare a hug, a kiss, or a smile.  Remember, dear child, we are only here for a while.

I loved my  sweet old Grandma, but suddenly one day, My dear sweet old Grandma forever went away.

But her love and words of wisdom are with me till this day, "My child, you only have what you give away.?  Nov. 25, 1989

May we give a little more effort to building bridges and not walls and perhaps our legacy will be that we helped build a world of peace.  We owe it to those who we remember on Yom Hashoah, Holocaust Remembrance Day to remember these words from Itka:  "Kindness is the greatest gift."

B'shalom,

Rabbi Bruce Aft

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Listening and Love

Prayers for Peace in Israel

Tragedies of War