The Gift of Time

 


Dear Friends and Family,

Recently Sue and I attended a concert where Jim Croce's son played some of his own and some of his father's music.  As many of you know I am turning 70 in May  and am wrestling with this significant birthday.  As we listened to "Time in a Bottle" (see lyrics below), I continued to think about turning 70 and the passage of time..  

One of my love languages is quality  time and I believe that the greatest gift we can give someone is the gift of time together.  Time is precious and I believe that as we recently  read the Biblical portion of Terumah (gift offering) and are currently reading about the construction of the portable tabernacle our ancestors carried with them in the wilderness, that we need to remember our time in this world is limited.

What are we doing to give each other the gift of  our time?  We promised during the height of the pandemic, that we would be in touch with people about whom we cared because we couldn't see them during that time.  Have we kept our promise?

Are we doing the volunteer work or getting involved in the community in ways that we promised during Covid or were they empty promises?

I hope that we will think about how we spend our time and prioritize doing something to create sacred space through the help we give others.

May we go from strength to strength in these efforts.

Shabbat Shalom,

Rabbi Bruce Aft

If I could save time in a bottleThe first thing that I'd like to doIs to save every day 'til eternity passes awayJust to spend them with you
If I could make days last foreverIf words could make wishes come trueI'd save every day like a treasure, and thenAgain, I would spend them with you
But there never seems to be enough timeTo do the things you want to do once you find them
I've looked around enough to knowThat you're the one I want to go through time with
If I had a box just for wishesAnd dreams that had never come trueThe box would be emptyExcept for the memory of how they were answered by you
But there never seems to be enough timeTo do the things you want to do once you find them
I've looked around enough to knowThat you're the one I want to go through time with

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Listening and Love

Prayers for Peace in Israel

Tragedies of War