Searching for Blessings in Life

 Dear Friends,


What does Joe Dimaggio have to do with this week's article?  I am celebrating the 56th anniversary of my Bar Mitzvah.  Joe Dimaggio's hitting streak in baseball was 56 games.

So what does that mean?

Dimaggio's streak was a model of consistency and as I look back on becoming Bar Mitzvah and the trajectory of my life, Judaism has in one way or another been consistently important to me.

There were times I wrestled with my  faith, thinking about becoming Bahai, struggling with observance, and wondering whether Judaism really was the religion for me.  When I was in college, I took an introduction to Judaism at the University of Illinois with Professor Gary Porton.  It was a revelation to me since I found that learning about Judaism in a serious way was immensely rewarding and inspiring.  I realized that to be Jewish was and is a blessing.

As I learned more about the Torah portion, Naso, from which I read and which we read this Shabbat, I realized that the portion includes the priestly blessing with which most of us are familiar.  "May the Lord Bless You and Guard You, May the Lord Let His Face Shine Upon You and Be Gracious Unto You, May the Lord Lift Up His Countenance Upon You, and Grant You Peace."

I have learned that life is filled with blessings and that Judaism reminds us to recite and be thankful for 100 blessings every day.  As my colleague and friend, Rev. Beth Braxton, taught me, we need to have "an attitude of gratitude."

I hope that in the days ahead we can find blessings in the midst of the challenges we face in our lives.  I hope we will share our blessings with others and that we will find ways to learn more about our tradition that can enrich our lives.  Please contact me at rabbibruce@gmail.com if you wish guidance in your search and journey..  

Please spend time over the summer checking out books or online sources about Judaism and appreciate the richness of our tradition. 

Be well and safe over the summer.  These articles will appear periodically over the summer but not weekly as my wife and I will be traveling extensively to see family and friends.

Shabbat shalom,

Rabbi Bruce Aft
-- 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Listening and Love

Prayers for Peace in Israel

Tragedies of War