Making a Difference/President's Day 2023

 Dear Friends,


As we celebrate President's Day today, I hope that we will all join together and offer prayers for former President Jimmy Carter.

Whether we agree or disagree with his politics as president, I think we can all pay tribute to an individual who together with his wife, Rosalynn, have made a tremendous difference. in our world.

If we believe in the Jewish value of "tikkun olam" (repairing the world), Jimmy and Rosalynn, through the Carter Center, have made a significant contribution to our world.

This quote from the website of the Carter Center is a reminder to all of us of the importance of helping to make this world a better place.

“We can choose to alleviate suffering. We can choose to work together for peace. We can make these changes — and we must.”
Jimmy Carter, Nobel Lecture


As a visiting scholar at the Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter School of Peace and Conflict Resolution at George Mason University, I have been privileged to do work as part of Black Jewish Relationships with the John Mitchell Jr. program  and community safety with local police.  

If you want to support any projects and help make a difference in our world, please contact me at rabbibruce@gmail.com.

Finally, please read these lyrics for the song, "Ani v'atah" by Arik Einstein and let's commit to doing our share to pay tribute to the Carters and to make these lyrics part of our lives.

Happy President's Day,

Rabbi Bruce Aft


אני ואתה נשנה את העולם
אני ואתה אז יבואו כבר כולם
אמרו את זה קודם לפני
לא משנה
אני ואתה נשנה את העולם
 
אני ואתה ננסה מהתחלה
יהיה לנו רע, אין דבר זה לא נורא
אמרו את זה קודם לפני
זה לא משנה
אני ואתה נשנה את העולם 
 
אני ואתה נשנה את העולם
אני ואתה אז יבואו כבר כולם
אמרו את זה קודם לפני
לא משנה
אני ואתה נשנה את העולם
 

English translation
Align paragraphs

You and I (אני ואתה) by Arik Einstein

You and I will change the world
You and I by then all will follow
Others have said it before me
But it doesn't matter
You and I we'll change the world
 
You and I will try from the beginning
It will be tough for us, no matter, it's not too bad
Others have said it before me
But it doesn't matter
You and I we'll change the world
 
You and I will change the world
You and I by then all will follow
Others have said it before me
But it doesn't matter
You and I we'll change the world
https://lyricstranslate.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Listening and Love

Prayers for Peace in Israel

Tragedies of War