Who Am I???

 Dear Friends,


In this week's Torah reading, Moses raises the following question with G-d.   "Who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?"    And God said, "I will be with you. And this will be the sign to you that it is I who have sent you.  (Exodus 3:11)

I think we often suffer from imposter syndrome and wonder whether we are worthy  of being chosen to provide leadership.

As we continue to mark the new year of 2023, I hope that each of us reading this will commit to addressing some cause that is of importance to us.  We are taught in Pirke Avot, the Teachings of Our Sages 2:16:

"He [Rabbi Tarfon] used to say: It is not your duty to finish the work, but neither are you at liberty to neglect it." (Sefaria translation)

I hope that we all realize that when we pursue something meaningful that the spirit of the Divine may be motivating us to make a difference.  We are not alone in our hopes for a better world and if we each make a commitment to save one life, we can save entire worlds.

If not now, when?


Shabbat Shalom,

Rabbi Bruce Aft

Comments

  1. Thank you for your thoughts and leadership. I am in the process of starting to volunteer at HIAS. Contributing to causes is sure needed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Listening and Love

Prayers for Peace in Israel

Tragedies of War