He Grew Up Just Like Me...Genesis 22

 


Dear Friends,

First of all, I hope we are all grateful to all the Veterans and their families and friends who have sacrificed, are sacrificing, and will continue to sacrifice so much to keep us safe.

I was talking to a person in the military recently who appreciates when people thank them for their service, but that it doesn't mean as much to them as people think.  I was told that what makes a bigger difference to them is when we listen to each other and work together to keep our democracy and our country strong.  I hope we will heed their words. After the recent election which once again is indicative of the divisiveness in our country, I hope we will support those who work across the aisle to build a nation where we respect and honor ourselves and each other.

This week the Torah reading is about Abraham and Isaac climbing Mt. Moriah and Abraham binding Isaac to the altar. He does not actually sacrifice him, but their relationship is never the same.

I was recently discussing this portion with a group of people and we agreed that some parents (maybe myself included?) sacrifice our own children on the altar of what we think is best.  I always thought that my role was to be the breadwinner and it was my responsibility to be involved in the community and do everything I could do to repair the world.

And who and what did I sacrifice?  I sacrificed having the time and energy to be present for my family.  Although they would challenge me on this, I know that  as the Frank Sinatra song suggests, "there were times, more than a few, when I bit off more than I could chew...." and who lost out?  My family paid the price for me doing what my dad used to say about the pelican who ate too much.  "The Pelican's mouth can hold more than his belly can.

As our children have grown up, I continue to remember Harry Chapin's words in his song, "Cats in the Cradle."  (see below) 

I hope that we will  find balance in our lives and figure out ways to bind our children to things that are important to us, without sacrificing our relationship with them.

Shabbat Shalom,

Rabbi Bruce Aft

My child arrived just the other dayHe came to the world in the usual wayBut there were planes to catch, and bills to payHe learned to walk while I was awayAnd he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grewHe'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad""You know I'm gonna be like you"
And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoonLittle boy blue and the man in the moon"When you coming home, dad?" "I don't know when"But we'll get together thenYou know we'll have a good time then
My son turned ten just the other dayHe said, thanks for the ball, dad, come on let's playCan you teach me to throw, I said-a, not todayI got a lot to do, he said, that's okayAnd he, he walked away, but his smile never dimmedIt said, I'm gonna be like him, yeahYou know I'm gonna be like him
And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoonLittle boy blue and the man in the moon"When you coming home, dad?" "I don't know when"But we'll get together thenYou know we'll have a good time then
Well, he came from college just the other daySo much like a man I just had to saySon, I'm proud of you, can you sit for a while?He shook his head, and they said with a smileWhat I'd really like, dad, is to borrow the car keysSee you later, can I have them please?
And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoonLittle boy blue and the man in the moon"When you coming home, son?" "I don't know when"But we'll get together then, dadYou know we'll have a good time then
I've long since retired, my son's moved awayI called him up just the other dayI said, I'd like to see you if you don't mindHe said, I'd love to, dad, if I can find the timeYou see, my new job's a hassle, and the kids have the fluBut it's sure nice talking to you, dadIt's been sure nice talking to youAnd as I hung up the phone, it occurred to meHe'd grown up just like meMy boy was just like me
And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoonLittle boy blue and the man in the moon"When you coming home, son?" "I don't know when"But we'll get together then, dadWe're gonna have a good time then

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Listening and Love

Prayers for Peace in Israel

Tragedies of War