Selichot Message

 Dear Friends,

 
As we approach Selichot, (See the link for the article below from My Jewish Learning.com), I wanted to share some thoughts about what I believe we can gain from our participation in our Rosh HaShanah services.
 
Recently my wife and I had the opportunity to see Hamilton and I was very moved by the lyrics for the song that describes being in the room where it happens.
 
Among the themes that stood out to me is the power of compromise.  As we face the new year I  hope  that each  of us will be willing to compromise in those areas of our lives where we are facing challenges..
 
I am reminded of the teaching about the mezuzah which suggests that when we affix one, we put it on  an angle rather than vertically or horizontally.  We do that in order to teach us that what makes a house a  home  is the ability to compromise since some wanted it to be affixed vertically and others wanted it to be affixed horizontally..
 
I hope as we think about the compromises that the founders of our country had to make, that we will think about ways in which we can improve our relationships and our experiences through compromising without being compromised.  We dream of a brand new start and recognize that all of us may have to make sacrifices.  Please note the highlighted verses which are particularly inspirational to me and encourage me to do the work of teshuvah, to try to make changes in my life.
 
And...I  believe that the room where it happens is being in  a place of worship to be able to look deeply into our hearts and hear the still small voice in each of us that encourages us to  dream about a more peaceful and loving world. I hope you will find that sacred space where it can happen for you.
 
May the sound of the shofar awaken us to  new ways of looking at things and opportunities to make the new year a bit more fulfilling and peaceful.


Shabbat Shalom,
Rabbi Bruce Aft


Selichot: Prayers of Repentance - My Jewish Learning



Lyrics

Ah, Mr. Secretary!
Mr. Burr, sir
Did you hear the news about good old General Mercer?
No
You know Claremont street?
Yeah
They renamed it after himThe Mercer legacy is secure
Sure
And all he had to do is die
And that's a lot less work!
We ought to give it a try
Heh
And how you gonna get your debt plan through?
I guess I'm gonna have to finally listen to you.
Really?
Talk less, smile more
Haha!
Do whatever it takes to get my plan on the congress floor
Now Madison and Jefferson are merciless
Well, hate the sin love the sinner
Hamilton!
I'm sorry Burr I gotta goBut decisions are happening over dinner
Two Virginians and an immigrant walk into a room
Diametrically opposedFoes
They emerge with a compromiseHaving open doors that were previously closedBros
The immigrant emerges with unprecedented financial powerA system he can shape however he wantsThe Virginians emerge with the nation's capitalAnd here's the pièce de résistance
No one else was in the room where it happenedThe room where it happenedThe room where it happenedNo one else was in the room where it happenedThe room where it happenedThe room where it happened
No one really knows how the game is playedThe art of the tradeHow the sausage gets madeWe just assume that it happensBut no one else is in the room where it happens
Alexander was on Washington's doorstep one day in distress and disarray
Alexander said, "I've nowhere else to turn"And basically begged me to join the fray
I approached Madison and said"I know you hate him but let's hear what he has to say"
Well, I arranged the meetingI arranged the menu, the venue, the seating
ButNo one else was in the room where it happenedThe room where it happenedThe room where it happenedNo one else was in the room where it happenedThe room where it happenedThe room where it happened
No one really knows how the parties get to "Yes"The pieces that are sacrificed in every game of chessWe just assume that it happensBut no else is in the room where it happens
Madison is grappling with the factThat not every issue can be settled by committee
Congress is fighting over where to put the capital
It isn't prettyJefferson approaches with the dinner inviteMadison responds with Virginian insight
Maybe we could solve one problem with anotherAnd win a victory for the SouthernersIn other words
Ho ho
A quid pro quo
I suppose
Wouldn't you like to work a little closer to home?
Actually, I would
Well, I propose the Potomac
And you'll provide him his votes?
Well, we'll see how it goes
Let's go
No!
...one else was in the room where it happenedThe room where it happenedThe room where it happenedNo one else was in the room where it happenedThe room where it happenedThe room where it happened
My God, In God We TrustBut we never really know what got discussedClick boom! Then it happenedBut no one else was in the room where it happened
What did they say to you to get you to sell New York City down the river
Did Washington know about the dinnerWas there Presidential pressure to deliver?
Or did you know even then it doesn't matter where you put the U.S. capital?
Cause we'll have the banks, we're in the same spot
You got more than you gave
And I wanted what I gotWhen you got skin in the game, you stay in the gameBut you don't get a win unless you play in the gameOh, you get love for itYou get hate for itBut you get nothing if you
God help and forgive meI wanna build something that's gonna outlive me
What do you want Burr? (What do you want Burr?)What do you want Burr? (What do you want Burr?)If you stand for nothing then what'll you fall for? (What do you want Burr?)
I, I wanna be in the room where it happensThe room where it happensI wanna be in the room where it happensThe room where it happensI (I wanna be in the room where it happens)I wanna be in (the room where it happens)The room where it happens
I (I wanna be in the room where it happens)I wanna be in (the room where it happens)The room where it happens
I wanna be in the room where it happens (Oh)The room where it happensThe room where it happens (I wanna be in the room)
I wanna be in the room where it happens (I've got to be, I've got to be)The room where it happens (Oh)The room where it happens (That big old room, oh)
The art of the compromise
Hold your nose and close your eyes
We want our leaders to save the day
But we don't get a say in what they trade away
We dream of a brand new start
But we dream in the dark for the most part
Dark as a tomb where it happens
I've got to be in the room (room where it happens)
I gotta be (the room where it happens)I gotta be (the room where it happens)I've got to be in the room (the room where it happens)I gotta be, I gotta be, gotta be (the room where it happens)In the room (I wanna be in the room where it happens)
Click, boom


Source: Musixmatch
Songwriters: Miranda Lin-manuel
The Room Where It Happens lyrics © 5000 Broadway Music


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Listening and Love

Prayers for Peace in Israel

Tragedies of War