Labor Day Reflections

 Dear Friends,


As I write this column, I am very grateful for the work ethic that I was taught by my parents.

As a father, I think I have made many mistakes.  However, I do believe that one of the most important lessons that I transmitted to our children was/is a strong work ethic.

On this Labor Day weekend, I am always reminded of how hard my Mom and Dad worked.  My father would show me the notebooks where he recorded his hours working on the railroad (we actually visited the railroad office where he worked, earlier this summer and another article will describe that experience).  He would work double shifts and then on days off, would do "odd jobs" (as he called them) for people, including yard work and simple maintenance.  My mother would be home helping with homework and being involved as a room mother at school.  In retrospect am reminded of the words in "Leader of the Band" by Dan Fogelberg where the lyrics say (with one addition), 
"I thank you for the kindness
And the times when you got toughAnd, pap, (and Mom) I don't think ISaid 'I love you' near enough"

Finally, when I was serving as a congregational rabbi, I would always quote the following poem on the Shabbat of Labor Day weekend by Carl Sandburg:

FISH CRIER

I KNOW a Jew fish crier down on Maxwell Street with a
     voice like a north wind blowing over corn stubble
     in January.
He dangles herring before prospective customers evincing
     a joy identical with that of Pavlowa dancing.
His face is that of a man terribly glad to be selling fish,
     terribly glad that God made fish, and customers to
     whom he may call his wares, from a pushcart.


We should all give thanks to all those who labor in whatever field or endeavor to make a living.  May we all remember to also make a life and thank those who worked so hard for us to be able to enjoy the blessings which have been bestowed upon us.

Shabbat shalom,

Rabbi Bruce Aft
-- 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Listening and Love

Prayers for Peace in Israel

Tragedies of War